Representation of insurance companies is a core practice area at McGrath North and we are experienced in a broad range of insurance-related matters. The firm has a diverse insurance practice that includes extensive experience in corporate, regulatory and transactional matters and litigation of insurance coverage disputes and claims. Our insurance team has specialized expertise with insurance company formation, capitalization and licensing, insurance holding companies, mutual holding companies, and captive insurance companies and other alternative risk mechanisms. We also offer broad experience in counseling insurance companies and their Boards of Directors on corporate governance matters, the responsibilities of officers and directors of insurance companies, and corporate compliance programs.
Our insurance clients also seek our counsel on a variety of regulatory matters. Our specialized knowledge enables us to advise insurers regarding various compliance matters, including Holding Company Act compliance, regulatory compliance, and privacy compliance. Our experience also extends to assisting insurers in policy drafting and regulatory approvals, and advising insurers regarding regulation of insurance marketing and investment practices. In addition, our practice advises clients on insurance and reinsurance matters, including assisting insurers in developing new policy or endorsement forms, negotiation and drafting of insurance agreements, reinsurance agreements, third party administrator agreements, reinsurance contracts and related matters, such as arranging reinsurance and attendant regulatory compliance.
- Represented supplemental health insurer as its outside general counsel for more than 30 years involving matters including:
- General corporate, organizational and tax matters
- Human resources, personnel and immigration matters
- Agency and brokerage distribution contract matters
- Department of Insurance regulatory and administrative matters
- General claims litigation
- Contract negotiation and drafting, including Annuity Contracts, Third Party Administration Agreements, Reinsurance Contracts, and Administration Services Agreements.
- Insurance Holding Company registration and ongoing notifications to Department of Insurance as required pursuant to Insurance Holding Company Systems Act.
- Advised clients on issues relating to Directors and Officers Liability Insurance policies.
- Performed coverage reviews for businesses to ensure appropriate insurance is in place.