For over 30 years Jim has represented corporate and individual clients in major commercial litigation and arbitration. He has handled all aspects of commercial disputes ranging from breach of contracts to multi-million dollar claims for fraud; from shareholder disputes to suits over corporate mergers; from breach of fiduciary duty claims to securities fraud claims. When the government became involved, Jim has represented clients in connection with government investigations involving alleged violations of federal and state laws and regulations. Jim has been the lead attorney in complex national litigation involving product liability, toxic contamination, and public nuisance.
Jim’s experience has taken him before arbitration panels and the trial and appellate courts in the federal system and in many of the states. In addition, he has considerable experience in resolving these claims outside of the litigation arena through mediation and other alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Jim was named 2013 Omaha Lawyer of the Year for Bet-the-Company Litigation by “Best Lawyers.” He was one of the top 10 Nebraska Super Lawyers in 2011 and 2012.
Jim has been a shareholder at McGrath North since 1977 and served as a director of the firm until November 2007.
- Creighton University School of Law (J.D., Summa Cum Laude, 1974)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (B.A., 1968)
- Nebraska (1974)
In its newly released 2022 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 47 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries. Of these partners recognized based on peer-review surveys, 11 were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
McGrath North is pleased to announce that 19 of the firm’s lawyers have been recognized in the 2008 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America. The lawyers recognized for this honor are:
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Top Commercial Litigation Lawyers, The American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel
- Top 500 Litigators (2006) Lawdragon.com
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Securities
- Listed: Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, (Nebraska, Litigation: General Commercial – Band 1)
- America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, Benchmark Litigation
- Great Plains Super Lawyers (Business Litigation, General Litigation) 2007-2021
- Selected Top 10: Nebraska Super Lawyers (2011-2014)
- “Best Lawyers”, Omaha Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year 2013, 2022
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating