Abbey counsels Fortune 500, mid-size and start-up businesses, colleges and universities and non-profits on a wide range of labor and employment matters. Her practice spans across the country in areas including wage and hour compliance, workforce reductions, employee leaves of absence, FMLA and disability accommodations, workplace investigations, hiring practices, disciplinary actions and employee terminations, immigration and workforce authorization, management and employee training on workplace issues, policy formation, union organization, non-compete issues, OSHA investigations and employee class-action litigation.
She is also experienced in defending employment-related litigation and providing day-to-day counseling to avoid unlawful employment practices. Abbey’s goal is to help companies take a strategic approach to build positive employer-employee relations and mitigate risk to avoid litigation. But, where an employer faces litigation, she defends employers with the efficiency, attention to detail and personal connection that her clients deserve.
Abbey strives to help companies focus on their workforce as an asset and provides the tools and support necessary to make that a reality. She has worked with businesses operating in a broad range of industries and brings that practical understanding and knowledge to the table. By keeping up with the latest developments in the law and enforcement trends, Abbey keeps her clients in front of the curve and helps them implement changes necessary to protect and grow their business. She prioritizes working closely with HR managers, in-house counsel and business leaders in assisting their businesses in developing long-term strategies and best practices to reduce business and legal risks.
Abbey also provides leadership within McGrath North and her community. She sits on the seven-person Board of Directors of the firm, and chairs the firm’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee. She was selected for Leadership Omaha in 2013-14 and has served on two key community-wide diversity committees, including Omaha’s inaugural class of LeadDIVERSITY. She is passionate about pushing both businesses and the community to face the historical barriers that exist for minority populations and for women and building solutions for the immediate challenges and to create long-term enhanced opportunities within the legal profession and beyond.
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., 2007)
- Saint Louis University (B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 2004)
- Nebraska (2008)
- Iowa (2007)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa (2010)
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska (2008)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (2008)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa (2017)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan (2017)
In its newly released 2022 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 47 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries. Of these partners recognized based on peer-review surveys, 11 were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
“We proudly support Pride Month, the LGBTQ+ communities, and their rights to respect, inclusion, equality and justice. Our firm is stronger and more effective in advocating for our clients as a result of our ongoing and never-ending commitment to build a diverse and inclusive team at McGrath North.”
07.28.2020 | 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Listed: Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star (Employment & Labor) 2015-2021
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management
- LeadDIVERSITY Cohort 1 – 2019-2020
- Omaha Chamber of Commerce Leadership Omaha, Class of 2013-2014
- Fellow, Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Nebraska Bar Association Leadership Academy Fellow 2010-2011
- Student Legal Advocate, University of Iowa College of Law Legal Clinic, 2005-2006
- Writer, 2005-2006; Note and Comment Editor, 2006-2007 The Journal of Gender, Race and Justice