Doug’s clients come to him facing bankruptcy, financial stress, litigation and financial regulatory issues. While financial challenges can be difficult issues to untangle, Doug has years of experience representing clients in all types of financial trauma and distress. While delving into the issue in a thorough, professional manner, Doug objectively evaluates the situation and puts together a plan of action that keeps in mind the best interests of all involved.
A husband-and-wife entrepreneurial team came to Doug with a sizable financial problem with their company. They were concerned about all of their large creditor base, but in particular, their personal exposure to their largest creditor, with the business facing approximately $8 million dollars in a potential deficiency liability. In order to limit damages to both the clients and creditors, Doug developed a plan that represented the clients’ company separately and created a unified front for an orderly liquidation of the client’s business. While the clients’ company did not survive, Doug’s plan helped creditors minimize their losses, and helped the clients negotiate their release from all personal liability.
- Creighton University School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude, 1978)
- Creighton University (B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1975)
- Nebraska (1978: Sustaining Member)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (1978)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
In its newly released 2023 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 44 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries, and 28 attorneys have been recognized for 10 years or more. Of these attorneys recognized based on peer-review surveys, seven were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
In its newly released 2022 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 47 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries. Of these partners recognized based on peer-review surveys, 11 were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- Officer of Nebraska Bankruptcy Bar Executive Committee
- Author and lecturer in the areas of business bankruptcy, lender liability, consumer finance, and creditor’s rights
- Author, “A General Practitioner’s Primer on the FDCPA”, Nebraska Lawyer, May 2001
- State Chair of Nebraska Members’ Attorney Program
- American Collectors Association
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Banking and Finance Law, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Transactions / UCC Law, Litigation – Bankruptcy
- “Best Lawyers in America” Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Litigation-Bankruptcy, 2013, 2016, 2020
- “Best Lawyers in America” Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2014
- “Best Lawyers in America” Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Banking and Finance Law, 2023
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Related Practices
- Banking and Commercial Financial Services
- Business and Corporate
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate
- Related Industries