When a client is searching for lead counsel to manage the risk in material national and regional litigation, Jim is a top choice for many businesses operating across a broad range of industries. Based on his over 40 years of litigating cases, Jim combines his depth of experience with his commitment to partner closely with a company’s legal, technical, and leadership team to effectively and successfully lead clients through challenging litigation.
In just the last five years, Jim has served as lead counsel on cases pending in state and federal courts across the country involving:
- consumer protection claims against a packaged food company
- environmental contamination at an industrial site
- product liability for a manufacturer of material handling system and another for a grain handling system manufacturer.
- false labeling claims for a pet food manufacturer
- tort claims lodged against a religious organization
- ongoing long-term lead paint claims
Jim has been recognized for his professionalism and success for many years by Great Plans Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. But he is most proud and thankful or the long-term confidence many business clients continue to show him by choosing him year after year to help protect their businesses.
- Creighton University School of Law (, Magna Cum Laude, 1981)
- Creighton University (B.S.B.A., 1978)
- Nebraska (1981)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (1987)
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys
- Listed: Great Plains Super Lawyers (Business Litigation) 2011-2021
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Litigation – Securities
- Fellow, Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Represented successor to a lead pigment manufacturer in numerous cases brought over the last 15 years in which claims were asserted for public nuisance, product liability and tort in state and federal courts in Rhode Island, Wisconsin , Ohio, Illinois and California arising from pre-1950 sales of lead paint for residential housing.
- Chafin v. Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus , 301 Neb 94 ( 2018)—Lead counsel and obtained complete dismissal of tort claims brought against a religious organization.
- McCabe v. ConAgra Foods, 2017 WL 889516 ( 2nd Cir. 2017) — Lead defense counsel and obtained a complete dismissal of a putative class action against a packaged foods company on contract and consumer protection claims related to charitable promotion.
- Orange County Water District v. Sabic Innovative Plastics et.al. ( Orange County, California 2020) –Lead counsel to a successor to a former operator of an industrial site and obtained costs of defense settlement of multi-million dollar statutory and tort claims for costs of investigation and cleanup related water contamination.
- Ag-Valley Cooperative v. Servinsky Engineering, et. al. ( Lancaster County, Neb. 2020) –Lead counsel to a manufacturer of conveyor and material handling systems and obtained complete dismissal of product liability claims related to failure of grain bin.
- Soranco Bean Products, Inc v. Streamline Precision ( Cassia County , Idaho 2017)—Lead defense counsel and obtained a partial summary judgment in favor of a manufacturer of a grain handling conveyor system on all contract claims leading to a favorable settlement of related product liability claims.
- Ko v. Natura Pet Products, 2012 WL 3945541 (N.D. Cal) –Lead counsel in class action against a pet food manufacturer for false labeling claims. Obtained approval of a contested nationwide class settlement on extremely favorable terms.
- Related Practices
- Business and Corporate
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Related Industries