Leo Knowles is a member of McGrath North’s Litigation Practice Group and is experienced in all aspects of commercial and business litigation. With over 40+ years of experience as a trial lawyer, Leo has represented a wide variety of corporate and individual clients in various industries. He looks at problems and issues in the simplest terms possible and searches for the direct and most expedient solution.
Leo has served as lead counsel in numerous jury trials, bench trials and appeals in federal and state courts in Nebraska and other jurisdictions throughout the United States. The focus of his trial practice has been on commercial and complex business cases, including class actions, trade secret cases, governmental defense and product liability litigation for a variety of clients.
From 2006 – 2016, Leo worked as in-house counsel for ConAgra Foods as Senior Vice President and Chief Litigation Counsel. In this role, he was responsible for the management of the company’s litigation as well as legacy environmental matters. Prior to his tenure at ConAgra Foods, Leo was a shareholder and director at McGrath North for 30+ years and served as assistant general counsel to ConAgra Foods.
- Managed the defense of several mass tort actions including the litigation arising from 3 separate food borne illness recalls.
- Creighton University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1976)
- College of the Holy Cross
- Nebraska (1976)
- United States Courts of Appeals – Third, Sixth, Eighth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Commercial Litigation
- Listed: Great Plains Super Lawyers (Business Litigation) 2007-2010
- Member: House of Delegates, Nebraska Bar Association, 1992 – 2000
- Speaker, NCLE and other seminars on evidence, trial practice and related areas
- Board of Directors Member: Project Harmony, 2006 – present (President, 2011 – 2013)
- Board of Trustees Member: Creighton Prep High School, 2015 – present
- Board Member: Creighton Jaybackers, 1998 – present (President, 2008-2009)
- Board Member: 1st Bank of Nebraska, 2013 – present
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Related Practices
- Related Industries