To follow that path, they use agile principles. At each stage, they identify the most important parts of the case to build next, and they sprint together to do so. Then, they repeat the process. That agile method lets Pat and his client adjust flexibly to new information and developments.
Many of Pat’s client contacts are in-house lawyers or other executives experienced with lawsuits. But for some of Pat’s clients, this is their first lawsuit. Either way, it is fairly easy for all of them to learn the legal principles specific to the case as they work with Pat.
One of the most rewarding parts of working together is identifying the simple truths that are at the heart of the client’s story. Pat and his client next decide how to best prove those truths through witnesses, visual evidence, and argument. At the end of the day, they aim to prove that the law, fairness, and justice all support Pat’s client.
Pat’s clients include software developers, innovators developing Internet of Things (IoT) solutions, companies working to reduce agriculture’s environmental impact, digital agriculture disruptors, manufacturers, processors, and investors.
Pat represents clients throughout the United States as well as international clients in U.S. lawsuits.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., Magna Cum Laude, 1989)
- Yale University (B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1986)
- Nebraska (1990)
- Pennsylvania (1989 (non-resident active status))
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska (1991)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (1991)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit (1996)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (2011)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit (2020)
In its newly released 2022 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 47 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries. Of these partners recognized based on peer-review surveys, 11 were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
McGrath North is sponsoring and conducting our Tenth Annual Seminar for Accounting Professionals in Omaha, Nebraska. The seminar will focus on a variety of topics such as: Assessing and Addressing Cyber Risk, M&A for the CPA, Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges, Patent Protection, New Wage and Hour Exempt Status, Working with Potential Litigation in Mind, New Developments and Practice Pointers for State Taxes and Incentives, plus Common Retirement Plan Errors and Correction Opportunities and how they impact CPAs.
The Federal Trade Commission Has Issued Important Guidance Regarding How To Respond To A Data Breach.
On October 25, 2016, the Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) issued a guide and instructional video regarding how to respond to a data breach. Both the guide and video are available at this link, which also contains a summary by the FTC.
- American Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- Great Plains Super Lawyers (Business Litigation, Securities Litigation, Class Action/Mass Torts) 2009-2021
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Litigation – Securities, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Litigation-Securities, 2014, 2022
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Nebraska, Litigation: General Commercial)
- Law Clerk to Judge John R. Gibson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 1989 – 1990
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America Honorary Society
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Representing a defendant in a lawsuit alleging an antitrust conspiracy in the markets for fed cattle and cattle futures and options.
- Obtained the district court dismissal of claims alleging misleading labeling of beef products.
- Representing a plant nutrient manufacturer in patent litigation.
- Representing a leading digital agriculture company in intellectual property disputes.
- Represented victims of a Ponzi scheme, including developing evidence by taking the Ponzi schemer’s deposition in federal prison.
- Represented defendants in class actions alleging securities claims, ERISA claims, and claims involving marketing and labeling.
- Represented defendants in lawsuits involving recalled food products.
- Represented parties in trade secret disputes.
- Represented a defendant in a nationwide class action trial and in defending against plaintiffs’ appeal from the verdict, ultimately resulting in a judgment in our client’s favor.
- Related Practices
- Business and Corporate
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Class Action and Mass Tort
- Commercial Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- Corporate Governance, Securities Litigation and Shareholder Disputes
- Food and Agribusiness Litigation
- Governmental Disputes and Actions
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Personal Injury and Product Liability Litigation
- Professional Liability Litigation
- White Collar Defense and Investigations
- Related Industries