A constant drive for effective and creative legal solutions is what Steve’s clients can expect of him. His experience, industry expertise and wide range of exposure to different kinds of cases and projects makes him an effective advocate. It doesn’t matter if a situation is routine, or incredibly sophisticated, Steve puts all of his energy and effort into a beneficial resolution for his clients. He has done it all in business law –risk analysis and management, license approval, transaction closing and regulatory adherence – so he is a valuable resource and an important part of so many businesses’ success.
A county board approached Steve for representation in a new landfill construction project. The existing landfill was nearing capacity, and opposition by three different groups stalled construction of the new landfill. Steve led the case when it went to an administrative hearing that lasted a week, with multiple witnesses for each side. Ultimately, the judge ruled in favor of the county, and the landfill permit was issued. But the case wasn’t over yet. One of the three groups, a local municipality, passed an ordinance requiring the county to obtain a permit from them to build the landfill, which the municipality would surely deny. Steve filed a declaratory judgment to test the validity of the ordinance. The district court ruled in Steve’s client’s favor. However, the case followed the appeals process and ended up at the state supreme court, who upheld the ruling. After helping clear the way for the development, Steve also advised the county on construction contracts and bonds to finance the project.
- Creighton University School of Law (J.D., Cum Laude, 1981)
- Creighton University (B.S.B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1979)
- Nebraska (1981)
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska (1981)
In its newly released 2022 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 47 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries. Of these partners recognized based on peer-review surveys, 11 were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
The Nebraska Energy Office has recently released the 2011 Nebraska Energy Plan. According to the Energy Office, over the last decade Nebraska’s total expenditures on energy have more than doubled reaching $9.1 billion in 2008. Energy Office Director Ginger Willson emphasizes: “Effective management of the costs within our control is a key to maintaining a competitive advantage when it comes to regional energy prices.”
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Natural Resource, Energy and Environmental Law Administrative Law; Corporation, Banking and Business Law)
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Environmental Law, Litigation – Environmental
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Omaha Lawyer of the Year – Environmental Law, 2015, 2019, 2021
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Omaha Lawyer of the Year- Litigation-Environmental, 2012
- Listed: Great Plains Super Lawyers – Business/Corporate, Environmental, Administrative Law, Energy & Natural Resources, 2013-2019
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Related Practices
- Business and Corporate
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate
- Related Industries