Planning, execution and results are the three pillars Bill has built his practice on and when it comes to challenges involving business partners, suppliers or customers, you don’t want anyone else. Bill’s experience in the field has helped him develop strategies that achieve his client’s goal in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Two partners in a limited liability company were locked in a bitter dispute about how to dissolve their business relationship. When one of the partners came to Bill to represent him, Bill immediately began the process of negotiating to sever the relationship on amicable terms. When the opposing counsel took a hard-line approach and filed a lawsuit, Bill and his client adapted their strategy in order to obtain dissolution through litigation. Ultimately, the business partners settled in Bill’s client’s favor before trial.
In addition to obtaining a favorable result, we were also able to put in place legal protections against similar disputes in the future. Our goal is to not only help clients solve their legal problems, but also avoid those problems where possible.
- Creighton University (J.D., Summa Cum Laude, 1981)
- Creighton University (B.S. B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1979)
- Nebraska (1981: Sustaining Member)
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska (1981)
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals (1988)
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals (1992)
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2003)
In its newly released 2023 edition, The Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 44 McGrath North attorneys in the full range of specialty practice areas key to supporting businesses of all sizes across a broad range of industries, and 28 attorneys have been recognized for 10 years or more. Of these attorneys recognized based on peer-review surveys, seven were named “Lawyer of the Year.” This honor is awarded to only one attorney with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location.
McGrath North is honored to announce that 20 of its lawyers have been recognized as Great Plains Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in the 2022 Super Lawyers Ranking list. These lawyers practice in the core specialty areas critical to serving the firm’s clients across the country and help fulfill our commitment to focus first and always on client success.
ar•bi•tra•tion – noun: a method of dispute resolution involving one or more neutral third parties
A business owner calls a meeting to discuss the tax consequences of a particular business transaction. The business owner asks the business’s attorney to attend the meeting and to provide some guidance at the meeting. The business owner also asks that the business’s outside accountant attend the meeting. Several years later, the IRS seeks to review the outside accountant’s notes from the initial meeting to determine whether the business properly reported the transaction. Is this protected under the attorney-client privilege?
- Omaha Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Listed: Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, (Nebraska, Litigation: General Commercial – Band 1)
- Listed: “Best Lawyers in America”, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Banking and Finance, Litigation – Environmental, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Mergers and Acquisitions, Litigation – Securities, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2020
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2019, 2020
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Banking and Finance, 2015, 2018
- “Best Lawyers in America”, Omaha Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Environmental, 2013, 2022
- Listed: Great Plains Super Lawyers (Business Litigation, Closely Held Business) 2007-2022
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Related Practices
- Business and Corporate
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Related Industries