Since 2008, Mike has devoted his career to civil litigation with an emphasis on trucking, employment, and first-party insurance matters. His experience includes complex high-exposure and multiparty litigation involving transportation, construction defect, and insurance matters. Mike provides detailed, pragmatic, and strategic advice and assists clients in resolving disputes cost-effectively.
His client-tailored approach always aims to achieve the most desirable outcome for his clients. In addition, his practice includes assisting clients with mediation, arbitration, trial, and appellate advocacy. His clients include insurance companies, self-insureds, and trucking companies.
Mike leads McGrath North’s Rapid Response team for transportation clients – coordinating with a network of investigative professionals to assist in investigating and mitigating potential large loss scenarios through timely preservation of critical evidence.
Mike is a member of the Transportation Lawyers Association, the Conference of Freight Counsel, the Nebraska Trucking Association, and the Defense Research Institute and is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Mike received his J.D. from the University of Nebraska College of Law in 2008 and his bachelor’s degree from Creighton University in 2005.
Outside of the office, Mike likes to travel, and his most remarkable adventure so far was trekking in the Himalayas.
- University of Nebraska College of Law (JD, 2008)
- Creighton University (BA, 2005)
- Nebraska (2008: Sustaining Member)
- Iowa (2009)
- U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Iowa (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa (2012)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (2015)
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association, Member, (Freight Claims, Casualty Litigation and Motor Carrier Committees)
- Conference of Freight Counsel, Member
- Nebraska Trucking Association, Member
- DRI, Member
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA), Member
- Listed: Martindale-Hubbell, AV/Preeminent Rating
- Union Pacific R. Co. v. Beemac Trucking, LLC, 929 F.Supp. 2d 904 (D. Neb. 2013)
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's v. Southern Pride Trucking, et al., 331 F.Supp.35 956 (D. Neb. 2018)
- Pitts v. Genie Industries, Inc., 302 Neb. 88 (2019)
- Fergin v. XPO et al., 955 F.3d 725 (8th Cir. 2020)
- Topp's Mechanical, Inc. v. Kinsale Insurance Company, 968 F.3d 854 (8th Cir. 2020)
- Saif v. Atlantic States Insurance Company, 29 Neb. App. 442 (2021)
- Clark v. Scheels All Sports, Inc., 314 Neb. 49, 49 (2023)
- Successfully advocated for the adoption of the reasonable approximation standard for Federal Labor Standards Act (FLSA) reimbursement class action in the District of Nebraska.
- Defense jury decision where Plaintiff sought $50,000,000 in connection with truck accident involving claims of permanent physical injuries and PTSD. Jury returned verdict of $125,000 which was significantly less than last pre-trial offer by client.